Managerial and administrative challenges with the hospital medicine program at Southern Ocean Medical Center were generating poor performance metrics and a rocky relationship between emergency medicine (EM) and hospital medicine (HM) providers. The two groups disagreed on admissions procedures, and the EM staff was aggressive in its efforts to transfer patients to outside facilities. After a thorough examination of both local and national options for a hospital medicine partner,Southern Ocean turned to TeamHealth for its business maturity, extensive infrastructure, professionalism, and reputation for driving results.
TeamHealth immediately began transitioning the HM program by following the steps below:
- Ensure a transparent and collaborative transition process in order to promote communication and productive alliances with incumbent physicians
- Recruit a medical director with a strong customer service mindset with the interpersonal skills to establish exceptional relationships with providers, medical staff, and community physicians.
- Recruit additional hospital-based physicians who are focused on quality patient care to round out the HM team
- Hold multiple meetings with all major hospital stakeholders in order to obtain buy-in from all key constituents
- Align our services with the hospital’s clinical, quality, and financial goals
- Implement daily multidisciplinary rounds
- Implement co-surgical management concept
- Conduct customer service training with medical staff
The medical director and new providers transitioned into the program and quickly won over the medical staff through effective communication and dedication to the hospital’s goals.
Within six months, the overall length of stay was 3.94, surpassing the hospital’s goal of 4.60, and has continued a steady decline to 3.04. Core measure compliance is at 100%for Acute Myocardial Infarction and Community Acquired Pneumonia. Additionally, HCAHPS Top Box increased from 68% to 83% within three months of AIDET training.
For the full case study, click Download below.